Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Best Thing About Today #25

What a better The Best Thing About Today than The Maccabees. Less today though, and more yesterday.


image from www.myspace.com/themaccabees

Last night I went to see The Maccabees in London's Brixton Academy. A wonderful, beautiful venue. I saw Brand New there a couple of years ago and was truly mesmerized by such a stunning place, full of haunting atmosphere and wonderfully captivating open space. This space was widened upon my second visit, as at the previous event I had been front center stage, taking in the wonder of the show whilst sharing in hundreds of others sweat pouring out from every crevice. This was suitably welcomed however, as being in the upper circle was a lovely if entirely different experience. My friend Vicky and I did some of the best seat dancing I've ever done in my life and risked life and limb (it's steep okay!?) by dancing stood up at some of the best points. In fact they were all best points. It was a wonderfully put together show, void of light displays, clever banter or any other gimmicks other than simply great tunes played by a bunch of humble and grateful men. These character traits were the best things about the gig, and me and thousands of others realised just how grateful the band were for the opportunity to play at such a venue. Latchmere was a particular highlight, and Can You Give It and of course the fine slab of indie brilliance that is First Love which was of course the encore.

If you ever get the chance to see The Maccabees, you won't be disappointed. I don't know that I've felt the urge to dance at a gig quite as much as I did last night, and I've seen The Spice Girls live. Twice. Yeah that's right, you heard me.

So to sum up, The Maccabees live experience: more dance-worthy than The Spice Girls.

No comments: