Sunday, December 21, 2008

Injustice.



Ignorance is such a killer in our society. Closing doors to things we don't understand or can't comprehend or don't know how to solve. Costing lives, and encouraging people to be foolish and uneducated about the world's issues and despair. Life is such a wonderful gift, such a massive privilege to be a part of and to experience, but a part of me wonders how many of us really know what it is to truly live. I am so guilty of focussing my attention on the self, and on what my ideals and goals in life are, and I too can't see past my own front door, or my own town or my own selfishness. I watch videos like that and I sigh and I think I can't do anything practically and I forget about it. But perhaps a part of doing 'something' is just being aware of it, not taking poverty and injustice as buzzwords but taking them seriously. Realising what we have, how lucky we are, being grateful. Maybe then the practical stuff can flow, people can begin to show love to the needy, take a real interest in current affairs, become educated about what is going on in the world. I wish I was profound enough to suggest a way that even I could make a difference to peoples lives who struggle with poverty and unclean water and disease and desperation. But maybe it starts with something smaller, something that is taken for granted and a word that gets thrown around to describe how we feel about the latest CD or film or website or celebrity.

Maybe it just starts with Love?

No comments: