Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Wicked Cool Bands #2

"You cut me out in little stars
and place me in the sky.
I lose my sense of time."
- Kaleidoscope, Kate Havnevik

Kate Havnevik is a Norwegian solo artist along the same lines as Imogen Heap (okay so this is Wicked Cool Bands but she still counts thnx). Her comparisons to Imogen arise mainly because she's great as is Imogen, but mostly because she too has worked with Guy Sigsworth on her debut album Melankton. Guy Sigsworth is well known for working with Imogen in the electronica/pop outfit Frou Frou, in which he produced and Imogen Heap sang. Noteably their most famous song is 'Let Go' which was used in a very poignant and lovely moment in the Zach Braff directed film Garden State. They sadly only released one album entitled 'Details', but Guy continues to produce music for such wonderful musicians such as Kate and even massive artists like Madonna and Bjork have had him involved in their writing and music making process.

I was introduced to Kate by two of my old housemates, both massive fans of Imogen's work. What struck me about Kate is that she has a really haunting voice similar to Imogen's which sort of lingers, all whispy and breathy. It's beautiful, and although lyrically her songs are quite simplistic, if you like the sound of her then listen to her album Melankton now. Right now.

No comments: