Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Living On The Edge


image from Daily Mail online

Today I mainly watched the entire series of Living On The Edge. If you don't know what that is, then congratulations to you, you're a better person than I am. It's basically a very poor British imitation of 'Laguna Beach' or 'The Hills', 2 MTV 'reality' shows that center around the lives of hideously rich teenagers living in Orange County in America. In this version though, it's about a load of British rich kids living in Alderley Edge which apparently has alot of millionaires and I think is in Cheshire. See what they did there with regards to the title of the show? EDGY. I really don't know why I did this to myself, but somehow found myself truly sucked in to their lives, coveting their care-free walks by the sea and wondering how it is possible that they could all be so ridiculously attractive human beings in a 'we-are-rich-and-thin-and-need-a-haircut-real-bad' kind of way. It's quite clearly the most scripted thing in the world, just like the American version, yet strangely inviting for an unemployed twentysomething living in rural Dorset.

Things I found out from my highly educational day:
It's easy to get a part in Hollyoaks if you're on an MTV reality show playing a warped version of yourself being a 'struggling actor'.
It's also easy to get an internship at Glamour Magazine if you're on an MTV reality show wearing alot of Topshop clothing.
It's also easy to get a meeting with a top record company if you're on an MTV reality show and happen to be in a band. You could also be a model if cameras follow you around and you look a bit like Paolo Nutini.
Money doesn't buy you happiness, I mean these kids face all kinds of issues including having too much money, having fit boy/girlfriends, and getting all As in their A-Level results. Also, don't you think that getting a part in Hollyoaks or having your band 'discovered' or going to indie festivals is easy, because it is clearly not.
Oh yeah... Ugg boots are still fairly bad.

And that was about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"alot of Topshop clothing"
should be
"a lot of Topshop clothing"

So I've had so little to do this afternoon that I created a whole account just so I could be a grammar fascist.

Hope you're good.

Emmah said...

Sam, you're a knob.