Friday, April 17, 2009

Wicked Cool Bands #6

"You may make my wells run dry,
but you can not make divinity lie."



image from Foy Vance official myspace page, link below

Foy Vance was mentioned to me a few months ago by a friend of mine who wanted me to go see him with her when I visited her. I, being me and having the memory of a goldfish with alzheimers forgot about this, and so a few weeks ago when a friend of mine was listening to some amazing music in his kitchen, I was delighted to hear it was Foy. His infusion of irish soul combined with the joyous sound of his voice was truly captivating, and I was suddenly counting down the days when I'd see him live.

This took place last Tuesday at the Glee Club in Birmingham, and without a doubt was one of the best musical experiences of my life. Foy Vance is amazing. His energy on stage is electrifying and the passion he has for what he does and the words he sings is immeasureable. His album is aptly titled 'Hope' which is a constant theme in his music, a CD filled with songs that make you realise what it is to be alive. My favourites include Be With Me and First of July but the whole of the Hope album is pure lovely genius. A treat of the evening was when he played Homebird, and invited one of our party on stage to sing with him! Amazing.

Here is a live session & here is his Myspace. He's on Spotify under Foy Vance and you can buy his stuff here at his offical site.

So to sum up, this has probably been one of my more heartfelt 'Wicked Cool Bands' posts, but I can't not be excited about this man. Besides the fact that he is an incredibly talented musician (and moved me to tears on more than one ocassion on Tuesday!) he also seems like a bloody nice man. And you can't go wrong with that.

No comments: